Part 1: August 20-22, 2021
Part 2: October 8-10, 2021
Course description: This course meets all EMDR International Association requirements for an EMDR Basic Training Course. Integrating EMDR into your Clinical Practice teaches mental health clinicians the foundations of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy through lectures, videos, demonstrations, and practice sessions between participants. At the completion of this course, participants will have applied the Adaptive Information Processing theoretical approach to psychotherapy, the eight phases of EMDR therapy, and how to utilize EMDR with a variety of clinical populations. Special instruction is given on working with clients from a beliefs-focused approach and varying applications of bilateral stimulation depending on the needs of each particular client. As of 2020, this course also teaches clinicians how to utilize EMDR in a telehealth environment. Please scroll down and click on our Learning Objectives tab for more information.
Intended audience: counselors, marriage and family therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, etc. Please scroll down and click on our Training Eligibility tab for more information about eligibility for this course.
Skill level: This is a beginner level EMDR training course.
CEs to be offered: Participants will receive 20 hours of continuing education credit upon completing Part 1 of this program and 20 hours of continuing education credit upon completing Part 2 of this program. Please scroll down and click on our Continuing Education Credits tab for more information about continuing education credit and approvals for this course.
Participants must complete the entire EMDR training course, which includes 10 hours of group consultation, within 12 months (1 year) from their initial start date. Please consider this deadline when registering for the training.
READ BEFORE REGISTERING:
- When registering, provide a mailing address where you are currently accepting mail (street address, city, state, and zip; NO P.O. BOXES!).
- If possible, provide a personal email address (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL) instead of a work or agency email. Organizational, governmental, and/or company-based email accounts might have security settings that block Zoom invites to the virtual training.
- Participants must have a stable internet connection and must use their own computer (not a cell phone) during the training. The computer must have a working camera and be able to download the Zoom app.
- Participants must be present the entire training — no exceptions.
- If any of your information changes (address, email, phone number, etc.) after registering, please inform us no later than 14 days prior to the first day of training.
- Also provide a phone number where training staff can easily reach you in case of emergency (e.g., cell instead of work if you’ll be training from home) as well as an emergency contact number.
- The trainer will contact the participants the week of the training with the Zoom invite. Please keep an eye on your spam/junk folders.
- This training is presented in MOUNTAIN STANDARD TIME. Arizona does not observe daylight savings time.
- Trainer contact information is available on our Training Staff page.
IMPORTANT MATERIAL SHIPPING INFORMATION:
- Training materials (manual, worksheets, etc.) will be sent to each participant via FedEx/UPS to the address provided on the registration form. These materials will arrive the week of the training. We do not ship outside of the United States and Canada.
- We are not responsible for shipping delays due to inclement weather or unforeseen events.
- If materials were shipped to the wrong address and the error is ours, we will resend new materials at no additional cost.
- If materials were shipped to an incorrectly provided address during registration or due to failure to notify our administrative office of an address change (no later than 14 days prior to the first day of training), we will charge $50/each to resend new materials.
- These materials can be downloaded on our Participant’s Page (password provided upon registration).
The registration deadline for this training is August 10, 2021 at 12:00pm EDT.
Trainer: Shellie Ruge, LPC
Shellie Ruge, LPC is an EMDRIA Approved Consultant and Certified Therapist. She is co-owner of Beyond Excellence Counseling and Consulting PLLC, a private counseling practice in Scottsdale, Arizona, with emphasis in working with First Responder and Transgender/Trans Family Care and communities.
Shellie’s clinical practice is steeped in trauma-informed treatment based on the most current neuroscience. Her EMDR practice integrates developmental and attachment theories, a deep understanding of dissociation, and ego-state modalities. Shellie’s expertise in subcortical processes allows clients to discover lasting healing from anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress, grief, substance use disorders, and enhances professional performance. Her focus on post-traumatic-growth inspires a commitment to helping clients build resilience.
Shellie is passionate about bringing excellence into her EMDR clinical work, teaching, and consultation. With an extensive background in teaching, Shellie is masterful at training others about complex concepts in an organized, accessible, and enthusiastic manner. Shellie brings passion and excellence to therapists participating in basic training or the certification process and provides advanced training. In the spirit of excellence, Shellie values lifelong learning and collaboration with others. Shellie’s integrity, generosity, love of learning, and dedication to others permeates every aspect of her life.
EMDR Consulting is an EMDRIA Approved training provider, and therefore, this training is EMDRIA Approved.
EMDR Consulting, founded by Roy Kiessling, LISW, is listed under his name on EMDRIA’s list of Approved Training Providers.
Part 1 Training Objectives: EMDR Foundations
After attending the training, participants will be able to:
- Describe the Adaptive Information Processing approach
- Identify the key elements of a memory
- Distinguish between adaptive, isolated, and frozen memory networks
- Contrast REM, orientation response, and working memory as they apply to EMDR
- Recall EMD’s original research
- Recognize client appropriateness for EMDR treatment
- Demonstrate client preparation techniques
- Apply the core belief approach to case conceptualization
- Practice Target Sequence Planning
- Differentiate between EMD^, EMDr, and EMDR
- Practice processing using EMD^
- Explain how EMDR treatment integrates into the client’s overall treatment plan
- Explain how EMDR can be applied to treating children
- Identify EMDR techniques for self-use
- Compare using CID and A-TIP
- Explain how to use EMDR in a virtual environment
Part 2 Training Objectives: Expanding EMDR Skills
After attending the training, participants will be able to:
- Explain the Core Belief Approach to symptom target planning
- Select the appropriate target planning approach
- Practice symptom focused or neural network mapping
- Practice resource strengthening
- Recall EMD^ processing procedures
- Explain EMDr processing procedures
- Demonstrate EMDR processing procedures
- Summarize clinical intervention strategies
- Select treatment interventions to manage client’s emotions
- Identify an EMDR approach to working with phobias
- Explain an EMDR approach to treating addictions
- Recognize when to use EMDR treatment with grief
- Summarize how to integrate EMDR into one’s clinical practice
We are offering reduced fees for our EMDR Virtual Training Course!
Parts 1 and 2 / 5-Day Intensive Fee for Private Practitioners/For-Profit Agency: $1095.00 USD*
*includes the required 10 hours of group consultation in the fee
Parts 1 and 2 / 5-Day Intensive Fee for Non-Profit, Community Mental Health, Interns/Students, Veterans, and Active Duty Military: $895.00 USD*
*includes the required 10 hours of group consultation in the fee
- All-in-one training manual
- A video link of the entire training
- 10 hours of group consultation (required as part of the EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training Course)
- Free downloadable audio and/or videos files of additional EMDR presentations
- Free membership to EMDR Consulting’s Clinician Listserv
Refresher fees are not available for our virtual training course.
EMDR Consulting realizes that becoming trained in EMDR is a significant commitment in time, energy, and money. For that reason, in addition to being one of the most affordable EMDR training course offered in the country, we also offer payment plans for those who prefer to spread out the cost. Please scroll down to the bottom of this course event page and select the payment plan that applies to you by clicking the Add to Cart button.
Private Practitioners/For-Profit Agency 5-month payment plan option: $1100.00 USD at $220/month
Non-Profit, Community Mental Health, Interns/Students, Veterans, and Active Duty Military 5-month payment plan option: $900.00 USD at $180/month
Payments begin upon registration and are automatically deducted on the same day each month. The payment plan includes a one-time $5 service and handling fee. Any cancellation requests occurring after the second payment will be subject to a $25 cancellation fee.
The subscription service is programmed on a monthly basis by default, including its expiration date. The “end date” listed on the receipt(s) is not a sixth payment; rather, the “end date” is when the plan expires in our system. No payments are deducted on that date.
If you have a special payment plan request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a plan suited for your needs.
By utilizing and authorizing the payment plan option, the registrant understands that fees must be paid in full before a Certificate of Completion will be issued.
Should the payment plan be cancelled for any reason, the registrant will be held responsible for aspects of the program that have been completed.
Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- Qualifying Medical Doctors must be licensed to practice in their state or province.
- Qualifying Advanced Practice Registered Nurses must have a Master of Science in Nursing (or higher) with a specialization in psychiatric mental health nursing and must be licensed to practice through their state board or province.
- Qualifying Mental Health Clinicians must have a Master’s Degree in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline and be licensed to practice through their state board or province.
Pre-Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- These are clinicians who are actively pursuing a mental health license through their state board (or province) while working under a licensed supervisor. Some of these license types may include: associate, intern, limited, provisional, temporary, and pre-license.
- Qualifying Pre-Licensed Mental Health Clinicians must have a Master’s Degree in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline and must be actively pursuing a full license through their state board (or province) while working under a licensed supervisor.
- In order to verify their eligibility, clinicians must submit a letter from their current supervisor confirming they are: 1) under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician, and 2) actively pursuing a full license through their state board (or province). We kindly request that the letter is written and signed on the supervisor’s office letterhead; additionally, the letter must include the supervisor’s license information and number. Please submit the letter as a PDF to email@example.com either prior to or during the training registration process.
- Qualifying graduate students must be enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing, Social Work) or related mental health discipline. Students must have completed their core graduate academic coursework and must be in the practicum/internship portion of their graduate program. First year graduate students are not eligible. Graduate students must be on a licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician.
- Graduate students who would like to take an EMDR Training will need to submit certain documentation (graduate transcript, practicum or internship details, and a letter from their supervisor which includes the supervisor’s license information and number) in order to verify their eligibility. In the letter, the supervisor needs to confirm that the student is on the licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician. We kindly request that the letter is written and signed on the supervisor’s office letterhead; additionally, the letter must include the supervisor’s license information and number. Students do not need to provide EMDRIA with any documentation unless specifically asked to do so by EMDRIA staff. Please email any documentation that needs to be submitted as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org either prior to or during the training registration process.
Please read EMDRIA’s EMDR Training FAQ for assistance by clicking here.
Canadian Training Eligibility Requirements
Please be advised that a Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy is not considered an established mental health discipline by EMDRIA or EMDR Canada, and therefore, those with only that degree are not eligible to take the EMDR training.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in psychology, social work, or counselling.
- Membership in a professional association that has a written code of ethics and standards of practice with respect to the disciplines of master’s level social work, psychology, psychotherapy, or counselling.
- Professional liability insurance.
Canadian Graduate Students/Interns
- Completion of graduate level course work.
- On a track to become a fully registered social work, psychology, or psychotherapy/counselling professional.
- Under the supervision of a fully registered Master’s level or higher social work, psychology, or psychotherapy/counselling professional.
- Must submit a letter from their supervisor, which includes the supervisor’s degree and professional license number, to email@example.com either prior to or during the training registration process.
Additional Questions regarding Canadian eligibility?
Please contact EMDR Canada for further clarification at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 hours of consultation is required as part of the EMDRIA approved basic training. EMDR Consulting has included the cost of these 10 hours of consultation as part of your basic training registration fee.*
Not all training organizations clearly disclose whether the cost of the required 10 hours of consultation is part of their basic training registration fee. The 10 hours of consultation may add anywhere from $250-$1000 to your basic training cost! EMDR Consulting suggests you compare before you commit. Learn more about what we offer that exceeds ‘the basics’ by checking our ‘Dare-to-Compare table.’
EMDR Consulting’s consultation fee is calculated at $25 per hour, one of the lowest in the EMDR training industry. Therefore, $250 (i.e., 10 hours @ $25/hour) of your registration fee is earmarked for your consultation. With each consultation session you use, $25 is deducted from your $250 consultation escrow account.
*Consultation is not included in the refresher fee. Refresher fees are not available for our virtual training course.
Scheduling your consultation:
While it is up to you to utilize the hours of consultation to your best advantage, we suggest scheduling some of your hours between Part 1 and Part 2 of our basic training (or after the 5-Day Intensive). We typically do not offer consultation during the actual training; your days are long enough!
The question that is often asked: “What if I don’t have clients, can I still have consultation and complete my basic training?”
While having experience using EMDR with clients is ideal, some participants may be in situations where that is not possible. Consultation is still valuable and would still apply toward completing the basic training course.
Face-to-face local consultation:
EMDR Consulting does its best to have coaches available in your local area so you can have the opportunity for face-to-face consultation. Local coaches often have sign-up sheets available so you can schedule your consultation before you leave the training.
If you are unable to make the local coach’s face-to-face consultation sessions, group telephone consultation is also available. Roy offers group conference-call consultation on Monday and Wednesday, 11am, 12 noon, and 1pm (Eastern Standard Time). Contact Roy to reserve your spot on these calls, indicating the dates and times you’d like to participate. Your date and time will be confirmed along with a toll-free number to call. No more than four participants will be scheduled for any time slot.
Consultation Cancellation Policy:
EMDR Consulting’s coaches have agreed to set aside time from their clinical practice to provide your consultation, often for less than their rate for a clinical session. In respect for their commitment to help you integrate EMDR into your clinical practice, it is EMDR Consulting’s policy to charge your account $25 for no shows or late cancellations. To make up a missed consultation session, you will need to make arrangements to pay for that session out-of-pocket.
Completing your consultation:
Completing your consultation is an individual process; however, please note that you will not receive your Document of Basic Training Completion until you have completed both parts of the training (or the entirety of the 5-Day Intensive) and the 10 hours of consultation. We strongly suggest you schedule your consultation on a weekly basis.
Once you have completed an EMDR Training, you are considered an EMDR trained clinician. EMDRIA Certification in EMDR requires additional levels of continuing education and consultation in EMDR and is a separate process. To become certified, one must:
- Be fully trained in an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training course
- Be licensed or certified in their profession with a minimum of two years’ experience in their field
- Complete an additional 20 hours of consultation in EMDR by an Approved Consultant
- Conduct a minimum of 50 clinical sessions with at least 25 different clients in which EMDR is utilized
- Complete 12 hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years
Please visit emdria.org for more information about certification.
This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers. Our co-sponsor CE-Classes.com has social work state board approvals with Florida, Texas, Ohio, and New York (details below). Please contact your state board to confirm if the CEs for this course will be accepted.
- The American Psychological Association (APA) CE-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- Florida Certification Board
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 02-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: Part 1 is 2316; Part 2 is 2315
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 – Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022
- New York Social Work Board – CE-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
Licensed professionals should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
Participants will receive 20 hours of continuing education credit upon completing Part 1 of this program and 20 hours of continuing education credit upon completing Part 2 of this program. Attendance for the entire part (1 or 2) is required to receive CE credits. No partial credit will be awarded. Certificates are awarded online after completion of the workshop. Participants print their own certificate after registering at CE-Classes.com, entering a key code, and completing an evaluation form.
EMDR Consulting and CE-Classes do not provide CMEs for psychiatrists (MDs).
Concerning EMDRIA Credits for refresher registrations:
Clinicians may use a repeat of the basic training in lieu of EMDRIA Credits on a one time basis towards their EMDRIA Certification or Approved Consultant renewal. EMDRIA does not allow repeated training in lieu of the EMDRIA Credits for initial Certification or AC applicants.
Cancellation Policy for Scheduled Trainings:
- Minimum Attendance Requirement: EMDR Consulting reserves the right to cancel any training 10 days prior to the first day of the scheduled training if it does not meet its minimum attendance requirement of 10 participants.
- Unforeseen Events: EMDR Consulting reserves the right to cancel any training up to 24 hours before the first day of the scheduled training if something occurs beyond EMDR Consulting’s control, i.e., weather, national disaster, sudden illness, or death of a relation to the scheduled trainer.
- Refund: In the event EMDR Consulting cancels a training, participants will receive 100% of their registration fee as a credit to their credit card or a check.
Participant Cancellation/Transfer Policy for Virtual Trainings:
- To receive a full refund of the registration fee, participants must cancel their registration no later than 14 days prior to the first day of the training.
- Any cancellation requests occurring after this window will incur a $45 cancellation fee.
- For participants on a payment plan, any cancellation requests occurring after the second payment will incur a $45 cancellation fee regardless of the date of cancellation.
- If participants cancel or transfer after training materials have been shipped to them, they will incur a $50 material fee if we do not receive the materials within 2 weeks (14 days) of their cancellation or transfer. EMDR Consulting is not responsible for shipping fees associated with the return of the materials.
- The first registration transfer is free UNLESS the transfer request is received within or after the 14 day window prior to the first day of the training, then participants will incur a $45 transfer fee. If the transfer is to an in-person training, the participant will be responsible for the registration fee for an in-person event and any incurring fees. Any additional registration transfer requests will cost $45 per transfer request.
- Cancellation/transfer requests shall be submitted in writing to email@example.com.
EMDR Training Courses are held in facilities that are in accordance with the American Disabilities Act. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request special accommodations for disability (ADA).
EMDR Consulting is fully committed to conducting all activities in strict conformation with the APA, ASWB, NASW, NBCC, and EMDRIA grievance procedures.
During a training event, the trainer responsible for conducting the training has EMDR Consulting’s authority to address any concerns that arise during the actual training. Every effort will be made to address the concerns during the training to include changing practice partners, addressing staff issues, etc.
If the trainer is unable to address the participant’s concerns, the complaints and grievances shall be presented in writing to Roy Kiessling, LISW, Founder, EMDR Consulting, Inc.
Social Workers: Should social workers have a specific grievance, these grievances will be addressed by Roy Kiessling, LISW. In situations where the social worker would have a conflict of interest, then, Crystal Whitlow, LCSW, a social worker grievance consultant for EMDR Consulting, has been given the final authority to resolve any grievances between participants and Roy Kiessling, LISW.
EMDR Consulting’s approach in resolving grievances is always from the perspective of what is in the best interest of the participant.
All complaints and grievances are reviewed within 5 working days. Formal grievances are required to be written and emailed to email@example.com (or, for social workers in situations of a conflict of interest, firstname.lastname@example.org) and will be responded to within 10 business days.
There are no known conflicts of interests for this workshop.
At the training, participants will be expected to participate in practicum exercises that will involve addressing real, personal issues from a trauma-informed perspective. The issues addressed may have linkages to heavily emotionally charged experiences. Therefore, we ask participants to choose targets that are appropriate for a training setting. This is not the environment to treat unresolved major traumas.
During the practicum exercises, participants will pair up with each other. These partnerships are by choice. When choosing a partner, please keep in mind that you and your partner will alternate between clinician and patient roles. Coaches will be available to assist throughout the training in managing activation.
Participants will practice numerous grounding and stabilization skills before addressing presenting issues. Treatment plans will be developed; although, it is not necessary to disclose specific information for effective EMDR treatment. In fact, treatment planning is focused on processing core negative beliefs.
While past events will be identified during treatment planning, participants are not required to process anything that does not feel appropriate, especially considering that this is a training setting and not a clinical setting.
Participants will apply three EMDR-related interventions:
- EMD – restricts processing to a single incident with very little emotional activation
- EMDr – contained processing to a single area under consideration, opens more insight and, therefore, more potential emotional processing
- EMDR – opens up the entire neural network for processing regardless of the original incident addressed