August 13-14, 2019
Motivational Interviewing (MI) Introductory Training Objectives:
After attending the training, participants will be able to:
- Describe the “spirit” and key principles of Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Define MI
- Define 4 processes of MI
- Demonstrate ability to use OARS
- Demonstrate ability to recognize change talk and stages of change
- Identify traps to avoid
- Develop a personal plan for practicing and incorporating the primary skills and strategies of MI into counseling practice
What Is Motivational Interviewing?
Motivational interviewing is a counseling approach that attempts to move an individual away from a state of indecision or uncertainty and towards finding motivation to making positive decisions and accomplishing established goals.
Motivational interviewing was formed 30 years ago by William R. Miller and Stephen Rollnick as a way to push past the issue of low motivation to change.
Motivational interviewing shares similarities to person-centered (or humanistic) therapy. This psychological theory and form of therapy was created by Carl Rogers in the 1950s and 1960s.
Person-centered thought is based on the idea that people have innate goodness and value in them. It is the work of the therapist to permit the clients to create the best version of themselves.
Click here to view a short YouTube video on MI and its spirit.
***14 Continuing Education Credits will be provided by CE-Classes***
If you have any questions about the MI training, please contact Larisa Traga at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Trainer: Larisa Traga, LCSW
Larisa Traga is a California-licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), master addiction counselor (MAC), with a co-occurring disorders specialization (CCDS), providing training, consultation, and therapy to the Santa Barbara county community. She has a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from SUNY, Binghamton University and a Master’s in Social Work from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Larisa is an EMDRIA (EMDR International Association) Approved EMDR Certified Consultant and a Member of International Network of Trainers for Motivational Interviewing (MINT). She has been an adjunct psychology and human services instructor at Allan Hancock College since 2015. Larisa has also worked countywide with the County of Santa Barbara Behavioral Wellness Department since 2009 with individuals with co-occurring disorders, PTSD, Transitional Age Youth and adults with Severe and Persistent Mental Illness, drug court involved teens and adults and individuals experiencing crisis.
Larisa currently has a private practice specializing in culturally sensitive individual psychotherapy for children, adolescents, and adults using an eclectic approach, including EMDR, CBT, MI, and mindfulness techniques. She treats a variety of issues including anxiety, depression, physical/sexual abuse, PTSD, self-esteem issues, workplace harassment, and more. In addition, Larisa conducts training on Evidence Based Practices, such as Motivational Interviewing, NIATx process improvement, MATRIX model, and more currently consultations and technical assistance on use of EMDR and crisis debriefings using A-TIP.
Continuing Education credit for this program is also awarded by CE-Classes.com. CE-Classes.com is approved by:
- The American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB): CE-Classes.com, provider #1142, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2017-1/5/2020. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2019
- California BBS: Ce-Classes.com is approved to provide continuing education by the following professional organizations: ASWB and APA. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by these nationally recognized certifying bodies to satisfy renewal requirements.
- The California Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (CAADAC) Provider Number OS-12-174-1116 Expires 11-2018
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2019.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider – 1622 expires 2/28/2019.
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: TBD
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2019
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2018. Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2018
- New York Social Work Board NYSED Provider #120
Participants will receive 14 hours of continuing education credit upon completing this program. Attendance for the entirety of the program is required to receive CE credits. No partial credit will be awarded.
CE Instructions to obtain CEs will be issued upon receipt of the course evaluation and final sign-out at the conclusion of the training.
Cancellation Policy for Scheduled Trainings:
- Minimum Attendance Requirement: EMDR Consulting reserves the right to cancel any training 10 days prior to the first day of the scheduled training if it does not meet its minimum attendance requirement of 10 participants.
- Unforeseen Events: EMDR Consulting reserves the right to cancel any training up to 24 hours before the first day of the scheduled training if something occurs beyond EMDR Consulting’s control, i.e., weather, national disaster, sudden illness, or death of a relation to the scheduled trainer.
- Refund: In the event EMDR Consulting cancels a training, participants will receive 100% of their registration fee as a credit to their credit card or a check.
Participant Cancellation Policy:
- Participants may cancel their registration up to 24 hours prior to the first day of the scheduled training.
- Cancellations shall be requested in writing directed to either Roy Kiessling, LISW, Director, or Karen Beebe, Administrative Assistant.
- Participants will receive a full refund of their registration fee.
EMDR Training Courses are held in facilities that are in accordance with the American Disabilities Act. Please contact email@example.com to request special accommodations for disability (ADA).
EMDR Consulting is fully committed to conducting all activities in strict conformation with the APA, ASWB, NASW, NBCC, and EMDRIA grievance procedures.
During a training event, the trainer responsible for conducting the training has EMDR Consulting’s authority to address any concerns that arise during the actual training. Every effort will be made to address the concerns during the training to include changing practice partners, addressing staff issues, etc.
If the trainer is unable to address the participant’s concerns, the complaints and grievances shall be presented in writing to Roy Kiessling, LISW, Director, EMDR Consulting, LLC.
Social Workers: Should social workers have a specific grievance, these grievances will be addressed by Roy Kiessling, LISW. In situations where the social worker would have a conflict of interest, then, Crystal Whitlow, LCSW, a social worker grievance consultant for EMDR Consulting, has been given the final authority to resolve any grievances between participants and Roy Kiessling, LISW.
EMDR Consulting’s approach in resolving grievances is always from the perspective of what is in the best interest of the participant.
All complaints and grievances are reviewed within 5 working days. Formal grievances are required to be written and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (or, for social workers in situations of a conflict of interest, email@example.com) and will be responded to within 10 business days.