Part 1: August 28-30, 2020
Part 1 Training Objectives: EMDR Foundations
After attending the training, participants will be able to:
- List EMDR’s 8 phase and 3 prongs
- Discuss the AIP approach to psychotherapy
- Apply extended resourcing interventions
- Construct a belief focused targeting plan
- Describe the application of The Processing ContinuumTM
Part 2: October 23-25, 2020
Part 2 Training Objectives: Expanding EMDR Skills
After attending the training, participants will be able to:
- List 5 EMDR specific targeting plan approaches
- Develop resourcing skills to assist EMDR processing
- Demonstrate EMDR’s unrestricted processing
- Discuss the use of clinical interventions during processing
- Compare and contrast EMDR standard protocols and procedures with the integrative approach
Participants must complete the entire EMDR training course, which includes 10 hours of group consultation, within 24 months (2 years) from their initial start date. Please consider this deadline when registering for the training.
When registering, please provide a mailing address where you are currently accepting mail. We will be shipping materials to each participant (e.g., manual, worksheets, etc.) via FedEx the week before the training. It is very important that you provide the correct address as we are unable to send out duplicates. FedEx does not deliver to P.O. Boxes; therefore, we need a street address, city, state, and zip. Please also provide a phone number where training staff can easily reach you in case of emergency (e.g., cell instead of work if you’ll be training from home). Thank you!
The registration deadline for this training is August 18, 2020 at 11:59pm EDT.
Trainer: Shellie Ruge, LPC
Shellie Ruge, LPC is an EMDRIA Approved Consultant and Certified Therapist. She is co-owner of Beyond Excellence Counseling and Consulting PLLC, a private counseling practice in Scottsdale, Arizona, with emphasis in working with First Responder and Transgender/Trans Family Care and communities.
Shellie’s clinical practice is steeped in trauma-informed treatment based on the most current neuroscience. Her EMDR practice integrates developmental and attachment theories, a deep understanding of dissociation, and ego-state modalities. Shellie’s expertise in subcortical processes allows clients to discover lasting healing from anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress, grief, substance use disorders, and enhances professional performance. Her focus on post-traumatic-growth inspires a commitment to helping clients build resilience.
Shellie is passionate about bringing excellence into her EMDR clinical work, teaching, and consultation. With an extensive background in teaching, Shellie is masterful at training others about complex concepts in an organized, accessible, and enthusiastic manner. Shellie brings passion and excellence to therapists participating in basic training or the certification process and provides advanced training. In the spirit of excellence, Shellie values lifelong learning and collaboration with others. Shellie’s integrity, generosity, love of learning, and dedication to others permeates every aspect of her life.
EMDR Consulting is an EMDRIA Approved training provider, and therefore, this training is EMDRIA Approved.
EMDR Consulting, founded by Roy Kiessling, LISW, is listed under his name on EMDRIA’s list of Approved Training Providers.
We are offering discounted fees for our EMDR Virtual Training Course!
Parts 1 and 2 / 5-Day Intensive Fee for Private Practitioners/For-Profit Agency: $1095.00 USD*
*includes the required 10 hours of group consultation in the fee
Parts 1 and 2 / 5-Day Intensive Fee for Non-Profit, Community Mental Health, Interns/Students, Veterans, and Active Duty Military: $895.00 USD*
*includes the required 10 hours of group consultation in the fee
- All-in-one training manual
- A video link of the entire training
- 10 hours of group consultation (required as part of the EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training Course)
- Free downloadable audio and/or videos files of additional EMDR presentations
- Free membership to EMDR Consulting’s Clinician Listserv
Refresher fees are not available for our virtual training course.
EMDR Consulting realizes that becoming trained in EMDR is a significant commitment in time, energy, and money. For that reason, in addition to being one of the most affordable EMDR training course offered in the country, we also offer payment plans for those who prefer to spread out the cost. Please scroll down to the bottom of this course event page and select the payment plan that applies to you by clicking the Add to Cart button.
Private Practitioners/For-Profit Agency 5-month payment plan option: $1100.00 USD at $220/month
Non-Profit, Community Mental Health, Interns/Students, Veterans, and Active Duty Military 5-month payment plan option: $900.00 USD at $180/month
Payments begin upon registration and are automatically deducted on the same day each month. The payment plan includes a one-time $5 service and handling fee.
The subscription service is programmed on a monthly basis by default, including its expiration date. The “end date” listed on the receipt(s) is not a sixth payment; rather, the “end date” is when the plan expires in our system. No payments are deducted on that date.
If you have a special payment plan request, please email email@example.com to arrange a plan suited for your needs.
By utilizing and authorizing the payment plan option, the registrant understands that fees must be paid in full before a Certificate of Completion will be issued.
Should the payment plan be cancelled for any reason, the registrant will be held responsible for aspects of the program that have been completed.
Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- Qualifying Medical Doctors must be licensed to practice in their state or province.
- Qualifying Advanced Practice Registered Nurses must have a Master of Science in Nursing (or higher) with a specialization in psychiatric mental health nursing and must be licensed to practice through their state board or province.
- Qualifying Mental Health Clinicians must have a Master’s Degree in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline and be licensed to practice through their state board or province.
Pre-Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- These are clinicians who are actively pursuing a mental health license through their state board (or province) while working under a licensed supervisor. Some of these license types may include: associate, intern, limited, provisional, temporary, and pre-license.
- Qualifying Pre-Licensed Mental Health Clinicians must have a Master’s Degree in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline and must be actively pursuing a full license through their state board (or province) while working under a licensed supervisor.
- In order to verify their eligibility, clinicians must submit a letter from their current supervisor confirming they are: 1) under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician, and 2) actively pursuing a full license through their state board (or province). We kindly request that the letter is written and signed on the supervisor’s office letterhead; additionally, the letter must include the supervisor’s license information and number. Please submit the letter as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org either prior to or during the training registration process.
- Qualifying graduate students must be enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing, Social Work) or related mental health discipline. Students must have completed their core graduate academic coursework and must be in the practicum/internship portion of their graduate program. First year graduate students are not eligible. Graduate students must be on a licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician.
- Graduate students who would like to take an EMDR Training will need to submit certain documentation (graduate transcript, practicum or internship details, and a letter from their supervisor which includes the supervisor’s license information and number) in order to verify their eligibility. In the letter, the supervisor needs to confirm that the student is on the licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician. We kindly request that the letter is written and signed on the supervisor’s office letterhead; additionally, the letter must include the supervisor’s license information and number. Students do not need to provide EMDRIA with any documentation unless specifically asked to do so by EMDRIA staff. Please email any documentation that needs to be submitted as a PDF to email@example.com either prior to or during the training registration process.
Please read EMDRIA’s EMDR Training FAQ for assistance by clicking here.
Canadian Training Eligibility Requirements
Please be advised that a Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy is not considered an established mental health discipline by EMDRIA or EMDR Canada, and therefore, those with only that degree are not eligible to take the EMDR training.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in psychology, social work, or counselling.
- Membership in a professional association that has a written code of ethics and standards of practice with respect to the disciplines of master’s level social work, psychology, psychotherapy, or counselling.
- Professional liability insurance.
Canadian Graduate Students/Interns
- Completion of graduate level course work.
- On a track to become a fully registered social work, psychology, or psychotherapy/counselling professional.
- Under the supervision of a fully registered Master’s level or higher social work, psychology, or psychotherapy/counselling professional.
- Must submit a letter from their supervisor, which includes the supervisor’s degree and professional license number, to firstname.lastname@example.org either prior to or during the training registration process.
Additional Questions regarding Canadian eligibility?
Please contact EMDR Canada for further clarification at email@example.com.
10 hours of consultation is required as part of the EMDRIA approved basic training. EMDR Consulting has included the cost of these 10 hours of consultation as part of your basic training registration fee.*
Not all training organizations clearly disclose whether the cost of the required 10 hours of consultation is part of their basic training registration fee. The 10 hours of consultation may add anywhere from $250-$1000 to your basic training cost! EMDR Consulting suggests you compare before you commit. Learn more about what we offer that exceeds ‘the basics’ by checking our ‘Dare-to-Compare table.’
EMDR Consulting’s consultation fee is calculated at $25 per hour, one of the lowest in the EMDR training industry. Therefore, $250 (i.e., 10 hours @ $25/hour) of your registration fee is earmarked for your consultation. With each consultation session you use, $25 is deducted from your $250 consultation escrow account.
*Consultation is not included in the refresher fee. Refresher fees are not available for our virtual training course.
Scheduling your consultation:
While it is up to you to utilize the hours of consultation to your best advantage, we suggest scheduling some of your hours between Part 1 and Part 2 of our basic training (or after the 5-Day Intensive). We typically do not offer consultation during the actual training; your days are long enough!
The question that is often asked: “What if I don’t have clients, can I still have consultation and complete my basic training?”
While having experience using EMDR with clients is ideal, some participants may be in situations where that is not possible. Consultation is still valuable and would still apply toward completing the basic training course.
Face-to-face local consultation:
EMDR Consulting does its best to have coaches available in your local area so you can have the opportunity for face-to-face consultation. Local coaches often have sign-up sheets available so you can schedule your consultation before you leave the training.
If you are unable to make the local coach’s face-to-face consultation sessions, group telephone consultation is also available. Roy offers group conference-call consultation on Monday and Wednesday, 11am, 12 noon, and 1pm (Eastern Standard Time). Contact Roy to reserve your spot on these calls, indicating the dates and times you’d like to participate. Your date and time will be confirmed along with a toll-free number to call. No more than four participants will be scheduled for any time slot.
Consultation Cancellation Policy:
EMDR Consulting’s coaches have agreed to set aside time from their clinical practice to provide your consultation, often for less than their rate for a clinical session. In respect for their commitment to help you integrate EMDR into your clinical practice, it is EMDR Consulting’s policy to charge your account $25 for no shows or late cancellations. To make up a missed consultation session, you will need to make arrangements to pay for that session out-of-pocket.
Completing your consultation:
Completing your consultation is an individual process; however, please note that you will not receive your Document of Basic Training Completion until you have completed both parts of the training (or the entirety of the 5-Day Intensive) and the 10 hours of consultation. We strongly suggest you schedule your consultation on a weekly basis.
Once you have completed an EMDR Training, you are considered an EMDR trained clinician. EMDRIA Certification in EMDR requires additional levels of continuing education and consultation in EMDR and is a separate process. To become certified, one must:
- Be fully trained in an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training course
- Be licensed or certified in their profession with a minimum of two years’ experience in their field
- Complete an additional 20 hours of consultation in EMDR by an Approved Consultant
- Conduct a minimum of 50 clinical sessions with at least 25 different clients in which EMDR is utilized
- Complete 12 hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years
Please visit emdria.org for more information about certification.
Cancellation Policy for Scheduled Trainings:
- Minimum Attendance Requirement: EMDR Consulting reserves the right to cancel any training 10 days prior to the first day of the scheduled training if it does not meet its minimum attendance requirement of 10 participants.
- Unforeseen Events: EMDR Consulting reserves the right to cancel any training up to 24 hours before the first day of the scheduled training if something occurs beyond EMDR Consulting’s control, i.e., weather, national disaster, sudden illness, or death of a relation to the scheduled trainer.
- Refund: In the event EMDR Consulting cancels a training, participants will receive 100% of their registration fee as a credit to their credit card or a check.
Participant Cancellation Policy:
- Participants may cancel their registration up to 24 hours prior to the first day of the scheduled training.
- Cancellations shall be requested in writing directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participants will receive a full refund of their registration fee.
EMDR Training Courses are held in facilities that are in accordance with the American Disabilities Act. Please contact email@example.com to request special accommodations for disability (ADA).
EMDR Consulting is fully committed to conducting all activities in strict conformation with the APA, ASWB, NASW, NBCC, and EMDRIA grievance procedures.
During a training event, the trainer responsible for conducting the training has EMDR Consulting’s authority to address any concerns that arise during the actual training. Every effort will be made to address the concerns during the training to include changing practice partners, addressing staff issues, etc.
If the trainer is unable to address the participant’s concerns, the complaints and grievances shall be presented in writing to Roy Kiessling, LISW, Founder, EMDR Consulting, Inc.
Social Workers: Should social workers have a specific grievance, these grievances will be addressed by Roy Kiessling, LISW. In situations where the social worker would have a conflict of interest, then, Crystal Whitlow, LCSW, a social worker grievance consultant for EMDR Consulting, has been given the final authority to resolve any grievances between participants and Roy Kiessling, LISW.
EMDR Consulting’s approach in resolving grievances is always from the perspective of what is in the best interest of the participant.
All complaints and grievances are reviewed within 5 working days. Formal grievances are required to be written and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (or, for social workers in situations of a conflict of interest, email@example.com) and will be responded to within 10 business days.
There are no known conflicts of interests for this workshop.
At the training, participants will be expected to participate in practicum exercises that will involve addressing real, personal issues from a trauma-informed perspective. The issues addressed may have linkages to heavily emotionally charged experiences. Therefore, we ask participants to choose targets that are appropriate for a training setting. This is not the environment to treat unresolved major traumas.
During the practicum exercises, participants will pair up with each other. These partnerships are by choice. When choosing a partner, please keep in mind that you and your partner will alternate between clinician and patient roles. Coaches will be available to assist throughout the training in managing activation.
Participants will practice numerous grounding and stabilization skills before addressing presenting issues. Treatment plans will be developed; although, it is not necessary to disclose specific information for effective EMDR treatment. In fact, treatment planning is focused on processing core negative beliefs.
While past events will be identified during treatment planning, participants are not required to process anything that does not feel appropriate, especially considering that this is a training setting and not a clinical setting.
Participants will apply three EMDR-related interventions:
- EMD – restricts processing to a single incident with very little emotional activation
- EMDr – contained processing to a single area under consideration, opens more insight and, therefore, more potential emotional processing
- EMDR – opens up the entire neural network for processing regardless of the original incident addressed