Part 2: October 15-17, 2020
Part 2 Objectives: Expanding EMDR Skills
After attending the training, participants will be able to:
- List 5 EMDR specific targeting plan approaches
- Develop resourcing skills to assist EMDR processing
- Demonstrate EMDR’s unrestricted processing
- Discuss the use of clinical interventions during processing
- Compare and contrast EMDR standard protocols and procedures with the integrative approach
Participants must complete the entire EMDR training course and 10 hours of group consultation within 24 months (2 years) from their initial start date.
Trainer: Jean Hawks, Ph.D.
Jean is currently working in private practice near Jackson, Mississippi and specializes in the treatment of anxiety disorders, PTSD, and complex PTSD, including dissociation disorders. Over the past ten years, Jean has been active in increasing training available in Mississippi. She has been the EMDRIA Regional Coordinator for fifteen years and has served on the EMDRIA Standards and Training committee for eight years. In 2014, she joined Roy Kiessling at EMDR Consulting.
Prior to moving to Mississippi to obtain her doctoral degree, Jean founded an outpatient alcohol and substance abuse program in Western New York where she was the clinical director for ten years. She has additional clinical experience in a diverse range of settings, including being the clinical director for a large community mental health services agency, working at two inpatient state mental health hospitals in New York, and providing services at the Veterans Administration Hospital in New Orleans Louisiana.
Jean’s foremost goal at this point in her career is sharing with others earlier in their career what she has learned during the last twenty years of using EMDR. Incorporating EMDR in her clinical work has been the most effective and rewarding work she could have ever imagined doing. By providing training and consultation to others learning EMDR, she believes she will impact the most people possible.
EMDR Consulting is an EMDRIA Approved training provider, and therefore, this training is EMDRIA Approved.
EMDR Consulting, founded by Roy Kiessling, LISW, is listed under his name on EMDRIA’s list of Approved Training Providers.
Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- Qualifying Medical Doctors must be licensed to practice in their state or province.
- Qualifying Advanced Practice Registered Nurses must have a Master of Science in Nursing (or higher) with a specialization in psychiatric mental health nursing and must be licensed to practice through their state board or province.
- Qualifying Mental Health Clinicians must have a Master’s Degree in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline and be licensed to practice through their state board or province.
Pre-Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- These are clinicians who are actively pursuing a mental health license through their state board (or province) while working under a licensed supervisor. Some of these license types may include: associate, intern, limited, provisional, temporary, and pre-license.
- Qualifying Pre-Licensed Mental Health Clinicians must have a Master’s Degree in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline and must be actively pursuing a full license through their state board (or province) while working under a licensed supervisor.
- In order to verify their eligibility, clinicians must submit a letter from their current supervisor confirming they are: 1) under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician, and 2) actively pursuing a full license through their state board (or province). We kindly request that the letter is written and signed on the supervisor’s office letterhead; additionally, the letter must include the supervisor’s license information and number. Please submit the letter as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org either prior to or during the training registration process.
- Qualifying graduate students must be enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral program in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing, Social Work) or related mental health discipline. Students must have completed their core graduate academic coursework and must be in the practicum/internship portion of their graduate program. First year graduate students are not eligible. Graduate students must be on a licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician.
- Graduate students who would like to take an EMDR Training will need to submit certain documentation (graduate transcript, practicum or internship details, and a letter from their supervisor which includes the supervisor’s license information and number) in order to verify their eligibility. In the letter, the supervisor needs to confirm that the student is on the licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician. We kindly request that the letter is written and signed on the supervisor’s office letterhead; additionally, the letter must include the supervisor’s license information and number. Students do not need to provide EMDRIA with any documentation unless specifically asked to do so by EMDRIA staff. Please email any documentation that needs to be submitted as a PDF to email@example.com either prior to or during the training registration process.
Please read EMDRIA’s EMDR Training FAQ for assistance by clicking here.
Canadian Training Eligibility Requirements
Please be advised that a Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy is not considered an established mental health discipline by EMDRIA or EMDR Canada, and therefore, those with only that degree are not eligible to take the EMDR training.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in psychology, social work, or counselling.
- Membership in a professional association that has a written code of ethics and standards of practice with respect to the disciplines of master’s level social work, psychology, psychotherapy, or counselling.
- Professional liability insurance.
Canadian Graduate Students/Interns
- Completion of graduate level course work.
- On a track to become a fully registered social work, psychology, or psychotherapy/counselling professional.
- Under the supervision of a fully registered Master’s level or higher social work, psychology, or psychotherapy/counselling professional.
- Must submit a letter from their supervisor, which includes the supervisor’s degree and professional license number, to firstname.lastname@example.org either prior to or during the training registration process.
Additional Questions regarding Canadian eligibility?
Please contact EMDR Canada for further clarification at email@example.com.
10 hours of consultation is required as part of the EMDRIA approved basic training. EMDR Consulting has included the cost of these 10 hours of consultation as part of your basic training registration fee.*
Not all training organizations clearly disclose whether the cost of the required 10 hours of consultation is part of their basic training registration fee. The 10 hours of consultation may add anywhere from $250-$1000 to your basic training cost! EMDR Consulting suggests you compare before you commit. Learn more about what we offer that exceeds ‘the basics’ by checking our ‘Dare-to-Compare table.’
EMDR Consulting’s consultation fee is calculated at $25 per hour, one of the lowest in the EMDR training industry. Therefore, $250 (i.e., 10 hours @ $25/hour) of your registration fee is earmarked for your consultation. With each consultation session you use, $25 is deducted from your $250 consultation escrow account.
*Consultation is not included in the refresher fee. Refresher fees are not available for our virtual training course.
Scheduling your consultation:
While it is up to you to utilize the hours of consultation to your best advantage, we suggest scheduling some of your hours between Part 1 and Part 2 of our basic training (or after the 5-Day Intensive). We typically do not offer consultation during the actual training; your days are long enough!
The question that is often asked: “What if I don’t have clients, can I still have consultation and complete my basic training?”
While having experience using EMDR with clients is ideal, some participants may be in situations where that is not possible. Consultation is still valuable and would still apply toward completing the basic training course.
Face-to-face local consultation:
EMDR Consulting does its best to have coaches available in your local area so you can have the opportunity for face-to-face consultation. Local coaches often have sign-up sheets available so you can schedule your consultation before you leave the training.
If you are unable to make the local coach’s face-to-face consultation sessions, group telephone consultation is also available. Roy offers group conference-call consultation on Monday and Wednesday, 11am, 12 noon, and 1pm (Eastern Standard Time). Contact Roy to reserve your spot on these calls, indicating the dates and times you’d like to participate. Your date and time will be confirmed along with a toll-free number to call. No more than four participants will be scheduled for any time slot.
Consultation Cancellation Policy:
EMDR Consulting’s coaches have agreed to set aside time from their clinical practice to provide your consultation, often for less than their rate for a clinical session. In respect for their commitment to help you integrate EMDR into your clinical practice, it is EMDR Consulting’s policy to charge your account $25 for no shows or late cancellations. To make up a missed consultation session, you will need to make arrangements to pay for that session out-of-pocket.
Completing your consultation:
Completing your consultation is an individual process; however, please note that you will not receive your Document of Basic Training Completion until you have completed both parts of the training (or the entirety of the 5-Day Intensive) and the 10 hours of consultation. We strongly suggest you schedule your consultation on a weekly basis.
Once you have completed an EMDR Training, you are considered an EMDR trained clinician. EMDRIA Certification in EMDR requires additional levels of continuing education and consultation in EMDR and is a separate process. To become certified, one must:
- Be fully trained in an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training course
- Be licensed or certified in their profession with a minimum of two years’ experience in their field
- Complete an additional 20 hours of consultation in EMDR by an Approved Consultant
- Conduct a minimum of 50 clinical sessions with at least 25 different clients in which EMDR is utilized
- Complete 12 hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years
Please visit emdria.org for more information about certification.
This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers. Our co-sponsor CE-Classes.com has social work state board approvals with Florida, Texas, Ohio, and New York (details below). Please contact your state board to confirm if the CEs for this course will be accepted.
- The American Psychological Association (APA) CE-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- Florida Certification Board
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 02-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2202
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 – Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022
- New York Social Work Board – CE-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
Licensed professionals should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
Participants will receive 20 hours of continuing education credit upon completing Part 2 of this program. Attendance for the entirety of Part 2 is required to receive CE credits. No partial credit will be awarded. Certificates are awarded online after completion of the workshop. Participants print their own certificate after registering at CE-Classes.com, entering a key code, and completing an evaluation form.
EMDR Consulting, LLC and CE-Classes do not provide CMEs for psychiatrists (MDs).
Cancellation Policy for Scheduled Trainings:
- Minimum Attendance Requirement: EMDR Consulting reserves the right to cancel any training 10 days prior to the first day of the scheduled training if it does not meet its minimum attendance requirement of 10 participants.
- Unforeseen Events: EMDR Consulting reserves the right to cancel any training up to 24 hours before the first day of the scheduled training if something occurs beyond EMDR Consulting’s control, i.e., weather, national disaster, sudden illness, or death of a relation to the scheduled trainer.
- Refund: In the event EMDR Consulting cancels a training, participants will receive 100% of their registration fee as a credit to their credit card or a check.
Participant Cancellation Policy:
- To receive a full refund of the registration fee, participants must cancel their registration no later than 14 days prior to the first day of the training.
- Any cancellation requests occurring after this window will incur a $45 cancellation fee.
- For participants on a payment plan, any cancellation requests occurring after the second payment will incur a $45 cancellation fee regardless of the date of cancellation.
- The first registration transfer is free UNLESS the transfer request is received within or after the 14 day window prior to the first day of the training, then participants will incur a $45 transfer fee. Any additional registration transfer requests will cost $45 per transfer request.
- Cancellation requests shall be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMDR Training Courses are held in facilities that are in accordance with the American Disabilities Act. Please contact email@example.com to request special accommodations for disability (ADA).
EMDR Consulting is fully committed to conducting all activities in strict conformation with the APA, ASWB, NASW, NBCC, and EMDRIA grievance procedures.
During a training event, the trainer responsible for conducting the training has EMDR Consulting’s authority to address any concerns that arise during the actual training. Every effort will be made to address the concerns during the training to include changing practice partners, addressing staff issues, etc.
If the trainer is unable to address the participant’s concerns, the complaints and grievances shall be presented in writing to Roy Kiessling, LISW, Founder, EMDR Consulting, Inc.
Social Workers: Should social workers have a specific grievance, these grievances will be addressed by Roy Kiessling, LISW. In situations where the social worker would have a conflict of interest, then, Crystal Whitlow, LCSW, a social worker grievance consultant for EMDR Consulting, has been given the final authority to resolve any grievances between participants and Roy Kiessling, LISW.
EMDR Consulting’s approach in resolving grievances is always from the perspective of what is in the best interest of the participant.
All complaints and grievances are reviewed within 5 working days. Formal grievances are required to be written and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (or, for social workers in situations of a conflict of interest, email@example.com) and will be responded to within 10 business days.
There are no known conflicts of interests for this workshop.
At the training, participants will be expected to participate in practicum exercises that will involve addressing real, personal issues from a trauma-informed perspective. The issues addressed may have linkages to heavily emotionally charged experiences. Therefore, we ask participants to choose targets that are appropriate for a training setting. This is not the environment to treat unresolved major traumas.
During the practicum exercises, participants will pair up with each other. These partnerships are by choice. When choosing a partner, please keep in mind that you and your partner will alternate between clinician and patient roles. Coaches will be available to assist throughout the training in managing activation.
Participants will practice numerous grounding and stabilization skills before addressing presenting issues. Treatment plans will be developed; although, it is not necessary to disclose specific information for effective EMDR treatment. In fact, treatment planning is focused on processing core negative beliefs.
While past events will be identified during treatment planning, participants are not required to process anything that does not feel appropriate, especially considering that this is a training setting and not a clinical setting.
Participants will apply three EMDR-related interventions:
- EMD – restricts processing to a single incident with very little emotional activation
- EMDr – contained processing to a single area under consideration, opens more insight and, therefore, more potential emotional processing
- EMDR – opens up the entire neural network for processing regardless of the original incident addressed