EMDRIA Certification in EMDR
Being a Certified Therapist in EMDR is optional. Completing the EMDR Training Course fully qualifies one ethically, professionally, and within one’s standards of practice to provide EMDR in one’s clinical setting.
Once you have completed the training course, you may at any time thereafter pursue becoming a Certified Therapist in EMDR.
Analogy: Completing “Undergraduate School” qualifies one to attend “Graduate School” anytime thereafter.
To view EMDRIA’s FAQ page on certification in EMDR, click here.
If you choose to become Certified in EMDR, the applicant for the designation of EMDRIA Certified Therapist must meet the following criteria:
1) EMDRIA Approved Training: Submit evidence of having completed an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training Course. A copy of your certificate of completion is required.
2) License/Certification: Show evidence of a license/certification/registration as a mental health professional. A photocopy of your license/certification/registration to practice independently is required.
3) Attach notarized documentation supporting the following statements:
- You have at least two years experience in your field of license/certification/registration
- You conducted at least 50 EMDR sessions with at least 25 clients.
4) Have you received 20 hours of consultation by an Approved Consultant in EMDR?*
- *These 20 hours of consultation are in addition to the 10 group consultation hours required to complete an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training Course.
- At least 10 of these hours must be obtained through individual, EMDR-focused consultation.
- The remaining 10 hours may be obtained through small group consultation. Consultation groups cannot exceed more than 8 participants at a time.
- We strongly recommend you use one of EMDR Consulting’s Approved Consultants. Our consultants are familiar with:
- Integrating EMDR into your clinical practice
- The Belief Focused Approach to EMDR treatment
- Extended Resourcing
- The Processing Continuum: EMD, EMDr, EMDR
- EMDR Consulting does not maintain responsibility for the clinician’s certification process; therefore, each Approved Consultant will have their own approach to certification, e.g.:
- Face-to-face vs. phone consultation sessions
- Video of treatment sessions
- Tests and other forms of evaluating one’s knowledge
- Fees – each Approved Consultant sets their own fees (EMDR Consulting is not involved in the fee setting process)
- If you are interested in working with one of EMDR Consulting’s Approved Consultants, please visit our team page by clicking here.
5) Attach letter(s) of recommendation from one or more Approved Consultant(s) in EMDR regarding your utilization of EMDR with clients.
6) Attach two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR (if possible), ethics in practice, and professional character. These can be obtained from colleagues or peers.
7) Attach certificates of completion of 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). The EMDR Training is not awarded EMDRIA Credits – only EMDRIA Approved Credit Programs in EMDR that are completed after the entire EMDR Training program can receive EMDRIA Credits and be used towards this application requirement. Please click here to view the Calendar of Events.
8) EMDRIA’s Professional Code of Conduct. Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA’s Professional Code of Conduct.